If you have not been working out during the Coronavirus shutdown, here is the best way to change that.
When the Coronavirus shutdown began, if one of the first things to go for you was working out, I get it. When our daily routines get disrupted, it can be hard to keep focused on what’s important. Strange and ironic, because staying fit and keeping your immune system strong is one of the best ways to shield yourself from this virus. So fitness should be a priority. But if it hasn’t been for you, don’t “sweat” it. There is a solution to get you back on track.
Before we get into it, please don’t expect some complicated approach or new aged psychology. You just can’t fool yourself into being excited about working out. Or, if you’ve been off the wagon and you’re waiting for motivation or inspiration to get you excited, stop. The reason you haven’t been working out is because every time you think about it, you have some mental picture or idea that it’s not fun, uncomfortable, tiring, or whatever negative emotion you have tied to it. So you stop thinking about it. Until exercise crosses your mind again, and have the same negative thoughts and emotions, which shut down thinking about it. And on and on it goes… I hope you understand what I’m saying here.
The only way through that is to do it. To begin exercising. When you do that, you can begin to change how you feel or think about it. You can begin to you realize you actually enjoy fitness and feel better about yourself for having done it. That’s how you change the cycle from negative to positive. You have to create positive emotions around exercise. Listen to what I am saying: YOU have to CREATE them. Again, I hope you can hear what I am saying. It’s time to change the cycle.
So, let’s get to it. The solution to get you back into workout mode is to look at the week ahead and plan it. Let’s get that calendar out and see where we can fit some fitness in!
Yes. Right now. If not now, then when… Stop fooling yourself. Get your calendar out.
Good. Now that you’ve done that, here’s how you get your workouts in it.
- How many times would you like to workout this week?… Decide that now before you look at your week… Go ahead, I’ll wait… (come on, at least 2!)
- Now, what days this week can you fit in some fitness?…
- When you see a day that works, find a time on that day and put “workout”, or “fitness”, or “get some”, or whatever you’d like that signifies that you’re going to do something good for yourself. Don’t make this a chore, have fun with it!
- Now, on that day, when the time comes, get your phone or computer, or wherever you get your workouts from, and workout. That’s it!
- Oh yeah, if your schedule changes and it interferes with your workout, immediately open up your calendar and reschedule it.
Voila! After doing this, you will have improved your health physically, but also mentally due to the feeling of accomplishment. You also get to feel good after each workout. It’s a double win.
Your health is super critical right now. Making excuses could be detrimental. Use the plan above. And remember, it’s the thoughts and emotions around exercise that are stopping you. Change those things by taking action. You can do it.
@CFNorthIndustry for Twitter
@CrossFItNorthIndustry for Facebook